Hello Ageless Belles! It’s me Dr. Mia. I’m your board-certified gynecologist and B3 SPECIALIST. I help women, my “ageless belles” struggling with weight gain, fatigue, and low sex drive improve their B3: beauty, balance, and belief through education and cutting-edge medicine (programs, media, speaking, blogs and books) so they can “live well, age beautifully.” Let’s learn how to maintain a healthy weight to decrease our health risks!
Maintaining a healthy weight year-round is not always easy. Beginning around Halloween, grocery store shelves are stocked with tons of candy, a trend that carries through until right after Easter. It’s not unusual for many people to wake up one April morning amazed at how much weight they’ve gained. From that point, the weight loss challenge is on and summer is here. Now everyone is dying to lose weight to get ready for beach vacations. Does this sound familiar to you? Have you ever stopped to wonder how this impacts your overall health?
As your weight goes up, your risk of developing type II diabetes, breathing problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and plenty of other illnesses increases. Of course, as you lose weight, your risks decrease. However, there are numerous risks associated with weight fluctuation, particularly if you do it often. Just a few of the risks include: A loss of muscle mass, higher levels of body fat, and a slower metabolism. Damage to your arteries, as well as an increase in LDL cholesterol. This increases your risk of heart disease and heart attack. Nutritional deficiencies causing hair loss, your nails to become brittle, and your skin to develop a sallow look. Fatigue and possible dehydration making you feel weak and tired.
The truth is while there is temptation everywhere, it’s possible to maintain your weight all year round. It just requires a little bit of willpower and work.
10 ways to maintain a healthy weight:
- You have to stay active. Get at least 30 minutes of exercise daily or 180 minutes per week, including cardio and resistance training.
- Weigh yourself at least weekly to monitor your weight closely.
- Monitor your calories and portions daily.
- Drink half your weight in ounces of water daily and avoid sugary beverages.
- Eat breakfast within the first hour of awakening and eat a small meal every 2-3 hours.
- Plan your meals. Choose a day to grocery shop, menu plan and prepare meals for the week.
- Get 60-80 grams of protein daily, 5 servings of fruits and veggies, limit simple carbohydrates, and eat healthy fat.
- Sleep 7-9 hours each night.
- Have your hormones balanced and monitored.
- Take your supplements including calcium, vitamin d, and omega-3, as well as any other supplements recommended by your doctor.
You owe it to yourself and the people you love to be the best version of you! “Live Well, Age Beautifully!” Weight gain can definitely affect your health! Now you know my secrets to maintain a healthy weight so YOU can maintain your B3: beauty, balance, and belief. Don’t forget to download my NEW FREE eBook “25 Secrets To Live Well, Age Beautifully.”
Dr. Mia Cowan is a Board Certified Gynecologist, The B3 Specialist, speaker and author. She provides excellent care to adolescents and women of all ages for their gynecology care. She also has special interests and training in weight loss, hormonal balance, holistic medicine and minimally invasive surgery. Dr. Mia helps her “Ageless Belles” attain B3 – beauty, balance and belief through education and cutting edge medicine, so they can “live well, age beautifully!”